Linksys RE6500 range extender setup
- Connect the antennas to the extender’s hardware into the given slots. It should be in the upward direction to catch the best WIFI signals out of your router.
- Plug the range extender where you get very few WIFI signals from the midway of the router. The place where you are going to fix your extender must have at least 50 percent of the WIFI signals that are coming from your router.
- Wait for the LED light that is on the cover of the range extender, it should be solid white. It might take two to three minutes, then you can connect your computer device or the mobile device to the WIFI network of the Linksys Extender Setup.
- Now your window computer will ask you that do you want to set up your network? if you want then click the link ” Connect to the network without settings up.”
- Your setup should be started automatically if it is not starting then open a browser with the IP address http://192.168.1.1 or you can enter the setup wizard linksyssmartwifi.com login at the same Addy. now go on to the next step.
- If you are using a Mac computer or any iOS device then open up the browser Safari from your iOS device, and click the book icon. Then go and tap onto Bonjour from the left panel, and look for the Bonjour on the left side of the screen.
- Now look for the RE6500 icon that you can find on the bottom right panel. Double-tap the RE6500 icon, and leave the username blank, and enter the default password “admin”. After that tap OK.
- The changes to the settings will not come into effect until you press the apply or save button. If you want to cancel the settings, then click the cancel tab. For any extra information click-click help on the right side of the screen.
How to reset my Linksys extender to the default factory settings?
Turn on the RE6500 Extender first, press the reset button. this reset button is usually very tine and is fixed firmly at the back of the range extender. Press the button gently using a thin and sharp pin. You can use your kid’s pencil also. Press the button for a minimum of 20 to 30 seconds, and then release the button. The device will start resetting, automatically. Now the default settings have been restored to your WIFI range extender.
Now, wait till the extender reboots automatically. As you see that the power light has stopped blinking, then be calm. Your RE6500 has set to factory defaults. Resetting the extender doesn’t mean your extender has set to the latest firmware version. You need to manually configure the extender to its default settings.
extender.linksys.com firmware Update
Sometime our wireless extender starts malfunctioning, then it becomes very important to reset the download of the new firmware version. Downloading the new firmware for the Linksys RE6500 is possible by disconnecting the malfunctioning Linksys RE6500 extender device from the Internet connection of your house from the wall, then use a power jack to plug your wireless device directly to the Internet. If this is tough for you to do so, then use another computer that can be easily connected to the Internet. You can download a firmware update directly from the official website of the Linksys range extender setup.
Install New Firmware
- Type the model number of your Linksys extender, and get the correct version of the firmware file.
- Click the DOWNLOAD tab to download and save the latest firmware file for you. Unzip and save the extracted file on the desktop of your computer.
- Now login to your extender using the extenderlinksys.com in the browser. Follow the above-mentioned login process to log in to your extender.
- Go to the tab ADMINISTRATION from the menu of the top left corner on your screen.
- Click the option LATEST FIRMWARE UPDATE, and hit the tab UPDATE NOW. As you click the option.
What are the types of firmware Update?
Moreover, you have two ways to update the firmware of your Linksys range extender. Go to the administration and check for the firmware update. If you get the updates available for your device, then click to update, and it will be updated automatically. You can enable the auto-update option in your extender while installing the device for the first time.
Another way is to update the firmware manually. In this way go and select the firmware file that you have uploaded from the official site. You can upload the file using the upload button. In this, the auto-update feature has to be disabled to do the manual update, when needed. To avoid error or firmware failures, you have select the exact file that suits to the model of your extender.